Thursday, February 10, 2005

My thoughts on Adderall

Yesterday I posted news that Adderall has been linked to sudden death. Before then end of the day, the ADD Help Center a number of phone calls concerning this news. When Strattera first came out, I warned against using it. "It's just too new," I often told people who called in. "I would much rather see someone on Adderall, Concerta or Ritalin."

Two weeks ago I wrote about Strattera's link to liver disease. "Yep," I thought, "I was right about side effects not showing up right away." But here we are now addressing a drug side effect of a medication that has been on the market for quite a few years. And let's talk about the Cox-2 inhibitor drugs - Vioxx, Celebrex, Bextra - that are showing serious side effects. These have been around for a number of years as well.

Is any pharmaceutical truly side effect free? My guess is no. Please be careful when taking any drug - prescribed or otherwise. And please, please, please be exceptionally careful when giving children these powerful drugs. There are potentially harmful effects that could cut a life short.

No comments: