Tuesday, June 14, 2005

"Mental Illness" Affects 1 in 4 Americans

According to a new government survey, one out of every four Americans has a "mental illness." That may seem incredibly far-fetched until you realize that Attention Deficit Disorder has been thrown into this "mental illness" pot. According to this classification, one of my children, three of my dear friends and a whole bunch of other people I know are "crazy." I do take offense to labeling ADD as a mental illness. Sure it can cause a bit of havoc here and there but there are many excellent attributes to having ADD. And to classify ADD as a mental illness takes away our responsibilities to correcting the enviromental issues that can cause attentional, focus and hyperactivity issues. I don't buy the results of this study. Take ADD out of the picture and give me a true number of people who truly suffer from mental illness.

No comments: